Sore Throats are very common and usually nothing to worry about.
- They normally get better within a week.
- Most are caused by minor illnesses such as coughs, colds or flu and can be treated at home.
The following measures can often help soothe a sore throat:
- Take Ibuprofen or Paracetamol – Paracetamol is better for children and for people who can't take Ibuprofen (note that children under 16 should never take Aspirin)
- Drink plenty of cool or warm fluids, and avoid very hot drinks
- Eat cool, soft foods
- Avoid smoking and smoky places
- Adults can try gargling with a homemade mouthwash of warm, salty water (not recommended for children)
- Suck lozenges, hard sweets, ice cubes or ice lollies – but don't give young children anything small and hard to suck because of the risk of choking
- There are also a wide range of products such as medicated lozenges and sprays available to help alleviate the symptoms and pain.
There are no products in this collection.